Tavoleto

Vista di Tavoleto

Tavoleto is settled on another strategic place, containing a defensive fortress under the duchy of Urbino. However, the previous fortress has been replaced with a Gothic Castle today, built only during the second half of the 19th century.
The village knew many bloody battles, the lattest of which were the siege inflicted by Napoleonic troops in 1797 and the tragic fighting between allied forces of the Nepalese Gurkhas and German troops (defending their Gothic Line settled here), in the night between the 3th and 4th of September 1944.
The marks of those terrible events are almost wrecked today, thanks to the wilful inhabitants’ deed aimed at rebuilding the place during the post-war period. A superb climate and a woody valley surround the village, often attracting people from bigger and more chaotic neighbouring towns.


:: Interesting Sites
Castello Petrangolini
Giardino Raffaello Sanzio
Parco comunale
Chiesa di San Lorenzo
Chiesa di Sant'Ercolano a Ripamassana
Monte Osteriaccia (antica piazzaforte e punto panoramico)

:: Events
Sagra della Polenta alla Carbonara - terzo week end di settembre

:: Info
Comune tel: 0722.629128 - 629129
e-mail: comune.tavoleto@provincia.ps.it
web: www.comune.tavoleto.pu.it

 

 

 

 

From local woods to the Sistine Chapel

Placed on the ridge’s top between the Marches and Romagna, Tavoleto included one of the strategic fortresses of Urbino’s Duchy. The name of the village comes from Latin ‘Tabuletum’, because local wood in the past served the purpose of producing planks to be used for Rome’s building yards. Moreover, it is said that planks coming from Tavoleto were used to build Michelangelo scaffolding on which he used to climb up and stretch out while painting his unequalled ‘Last Judgement’ in the Sistine Chapel.

Castello Petrangolini
© 2005-2022 Montefeltro...da scoprire - Gestito con docweb - [id]